Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Religion and Technology

I just got back from my Professional Skills class at school where I was just lectured on critical thinking. Most of the lecture consisted of covering the "great thinkers" of the world which he named as Socrates, Descartes, Newton, and Einstein. I love reading about these thinkers and in the past have studied them in depth. But what I do not appreciate is when a teacher steps in front of me in a non-religious and non-philosophical related class and proceeds to tell me that these "great thinkers" of the world are great because they all disproved God.

*blinks*

"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details." -Albert Einstein

"Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion. God governs all things and knows all that is or can be done." -Isaac Newton

It seems to me that this sort of anti-religion/anti-establishment mindset permeates everything relating to technology. Now don't get me wrong, I respect other's opinions to believe whatever they wish to. However, I do not feel that it is right that I should be subject to this methodology in an environment that is supposed to lead to higher education and free thinking.

Does anyone else face the challenges of being religious in the technology world? How do you deal with being such a small minority among so many?

*sad*

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy the irony of them thinking they are the minority for being a freethinker without God...and you actually being the minority. God is there, and God sees all, and he is saddened by these events, however, God knows that you love him. So no matter what keep expressing your faith, because the one person(deity) that matters is listening ;)

Anonymous said...

People should read this.